These Rolo Stuffed Cookies not only have bits of Rolo pieces mixed straight into the batter, but also includes a whole Rolo candy stuffed right into the middle of a brown sugar cookie dough. The results? Rich and soft caramel oozing out from the center of these delicious cookies!
This recipe was originally published in November of 2020, but was updated on September 21, 2021 with newer content and fresh pictures.
These Rolo cookies are the fifth and final recipe from my candy cookie baking series!
Rolos have a caramel center that is wrapped around sweet milk chocolate, so I wanted to highlight that creamy texture inside of a brown sugar cookie dough. The Rolos melt so nicely in the center of the cookies that when you break the cookie in half, the caramel just oozes out!
With each bite including a soft chocolate wrapped piece of caramel, these cookies are soft, buttery, and the perfect treat for caramel-lovers everywhere!
Why You'll Love These Rolo Cookies:
- They're soft and chewy.
- A whole Rolo is stuffed into the middle of the cookies before baking.
- They taste like a butter cookie that just melts in your mouth with each bite.
- This recipe requires just 10 simple pantry ingredients!
Although I love cookie recipes that do not have to chill before baking, these cookies do require a bit of chilling. With the combination of melted butter and brown sugar the cookie dough is super soft and easy to work with. Chilling it for just 30 minutes will give the butter time to resolidify and bake up perfectly round cookies.
You'll definitely want to add these caramel cookies to your holiday baking list this year!
- Baking Sheet: I recommend this specific baking sheet because it perfectly fits 12 cookies on the pan. I use them for all of my cookie recipes! Then I line my baking sheets with silicone baking mats.
- Measuring Flour: To help ensure you don’t add extra flour, follow these three simple steps: 1) Fluff up the flour using a fork. 2) Spoon the flour into your measuring cup. 3) Scrape a knife across the top of the measuring cup to level out the flour.
- Chilled Dough: This cookie dough needs to chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before baking. This not only helps the cookies to not overspread when baking, but it’ll also enhance the flavors.
- Stuffing the Cookie Dough: Use a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop out the cookie dough into your hands. Split the dough in half, place a Rolo into one of the halves, and then top the Rolo with the other half of the cookie dough.
Let’s take a look at some of the ingredients we’ll need:
- All-Purpose Flour: Unless otherwise stated, I like to use all-purpose flour for my recipes.
- Leavening Agents: Both baking powder and baking soda are used to help the cookies rise and spread when baking.
- Butter: This recipe calls for the butter to be melted, which makes the cookies super soft and chewy. Be sure to use unsalted butter.
- Brown Sugar: Makes the cookies more tender and chewy while providing sweetness. You can use either light or dark brown sugar.
- Rolos: 25 Rolos are needed for these cookies. 18 are used to stuff the cookies and the other 7 are cut up into pieces and folded into the dough.
How To Make Rolo Stuffed Cookies:
- Dry Ingredients: Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- Wet Ingredients: In a large bowl whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix until fully incorporated.
- Combine Ingredients: Add the flour mixture and fold together just until combined. Then fold in the Rolo pieces. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and place into the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Bake: Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and use a cookie scoop to scoop out the cookie dough into your hands. Split the dough in half, place a Rolo into one of the halves, and then top the Rolo with the other half of the cookie dough. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Keep any leftover cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days.
If you would like, you can add a 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, or even white chocolate chips. The choice is yours!
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and star rating below. I love hearing from you!
I enjoyed this baking series so much and I hope you did too. 🙂 The goal for this baking series was to give you creative ideas to utilize all of that Halloween and Christmas candy you'd be receiving from now until the end of the year.
Hopefully with these five different candy bars, you'll be baking candy cookies all year long!
More Cookie Recipes To Try:
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Cookies
- Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
Rolo Stuffed Cookies
- Baking Sheet
- Silicone Baking Mats
- Cookie Scoop
- Mixing Bowls
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 25 Rolos 18 to stuff into each cookie, 7 cut into fours and folded into the dough
- *The cookie dough needs to chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before baking!Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the butter and let it cool for 5 minutes. In a large bowl whsik together the melted butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla extract and whisk until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture and fold together just until combined (be careful not to overmix!). Then fold in the Rolo pieces (the 7 that you cut into fours). Cover the bowl with saran wrap and place into the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes (chilling the cookie dough prior to baking is mandatory).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and use a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop out the cookie dough into your hands. Split the dough in half, place a Rolo into one of the halves, and then top the Rolo with the other half of the cookie dough. Repeat with the rest of the dough (should be able to make 18 cookies).
- Place the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow the cookies to rest on the baking sheet for at least 10 minutes before you transfer them over to a wire baking rack to finish cooling.
- Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days.