These chocolate sprinkle cookies are brownie-like cookies that have been rolled in chocolate sprinkles. They're super chewy, thick, and have an overload of chocolate flavor!
These chocolate cookies have both melted chocolate and cocoa powder folded into the dough. They are definitely fudgy cookies that all chocolate lovers will enjoy!
Why You'll Love These Cookies
- No electric mixer is needed; just mixing bowls.
- A melted semi-sweet chocolate bar is used.
- You can make them for Valentine's Day or as Christmas cookies.
- The outside is slightly crunchy while the insides are fudgy and ooey gooey.
- They taste just like a brownie, but in cookie form!
The chocolate dough is achieved by using both melted chocolate and cocoa powder. Just like you would in homemade brownies!
If desired, you could easily serve these with a glass of cold milk. That's how chocolatey they are.
Expert Baking Tips
- Baking Sheet: I recommend this specific baking sheet. Line each pan with parchment paper
- Measuring Flour: To help ensure you don’t add extra flour, follow these three simple steps: 1) Fluff up the flour using a fork. 2) Spoon the flour into your measuring cup. 3) Scrape a knife across the top of the measuring cup to level out the flour.
- Melted Chocolate: The melted chocolate and butter mixture needs to be completely cooled before mixing into the cookie dough. This takes about 15 minutes. If it's too hot to touch with your finger, then it's still too warm.
- Cookie Dough Balls: Use a cookie scoop to scoop out the dough. Then roll it into a ball using your hands and cover completely in sprinkles.
Here are some notes on the ingredients we'll be using. For the full ingredients list, look at the recipe card below.
- Flour: I used all purpose flour. Be sure to properly measure it (check out Expert Baking Tips above).
- Cocoa Powder: For best results I recommend using an unsweetened cocoa powder such as Hershey's. This will make for a delicious cookie.
- Corn Starch: Helps the cookies to be soft and tender.
- Chocolate Bar: I used semi sweet, but you could also use milk chocolate or dark chocolate.
- Sprinkles: Here are the chocolate sprinkles I used. You could also use colorful sprinkles.
Here are the step by step instructions on how to make these chocolate brownie cookies.
Step 1: Melt the chocolate and butter. In a small bowl, melt the chocolate and unsalted butter in the microwave and cool completely on the counter.
Step 2: Dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, corn starch, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Step 3: Wet ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together the melted and cooled chocolate mixture, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract until fully combined.
Step 4: Combine the ingredients. Add the flour mixture and use a rubber spatula to gently mix until combined.
Step 5: Scoop the dough. Use a medium-sized cookie scoop (I used my #24) to scoop out the dough. Roll the cookie balls in the chocolate sprinkles.
Step 6: Bake. Place 9 cookie dough balls onto each prepared baking sheet and bake for 9-12 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring them over to a wire rack.
Keep any leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you don't have to use chocolate. Use whatever color jimmies sprinkles you have at home. Even rainbow nonpareils would work great!
Yes they can. Freeze the cookies on a baking sheet for about an hour and then transfer them to a freezer bag. You can keep them frozen for up to 2 months.
It brings me so much joy to see you make my recipes. 🙂
More Cookie Recipes
Chocolate Sprinkle Cookies
- Parchment paper
- Baking Sheets
- Mixing Bowls
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted & cooled
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- chocolate sprinkles
- In a microwaveable-safe bowl, melt the chocolate bar and butter in 20 second intervals until completely melted. Let it cool on the counter for 15 minutes (do not skip this step!).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, corn starch, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted and cooled chocolate mixture, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract until fully combined.
- Add the flour mixture and use a silicone spatula to gently mix into the wet ingredients until combined (the dough will look similar to brownie batter).
- Use a medium cookie scoop (I used my #24, which is 2.7 tablespoons) to scoop out the cookie dough. Roll into balls using your hands and cover completely in chocolate sprinkles (I place the sprinkles in a small bowl and roll the cookie dough ball until covered).
- Place 9 of the cookie dough balls onto each prepared baking sheet and bake for 9-12 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring them over to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Keep any leftover cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 7 days.