These Triple Chocolate Cupcakes are a chocolate lovers dream! They're filled with a bittersweet dark chocolate ganache, topped with a chocolate fudge frosting, and have shaved chocolate sprinkled on top!
These dark chocolate cupcakes are so light, fluffy, and filled with incredible chocolate flavor! Anything chocolate is my favorite, so when I say this is the best chocolate cupcake recipe, I mean it!
The chocolate filling is so rich and decadent, while the chocolate buttercream is so smooth and creamy.
Why You'll Love These Cupcakes
- The cake is moist and soft.
- They're filled with a creamy chocolate ganache.
- Both melted chocolate and cocoa powder are used.
- No mixer required; just bowls and a whisk!
This recipe results in moist chocolate cupcakes that melt in your mouth with each bite. As the biggest chocolate fan, there is nothing better!
WHAT IS SCHARFFEN BERGER CHOCOLATE?
To me, it's very important to use high quality chocolate in order to create a dark and flavorful chocolate dessert such as these cupcakes.
Scharffen Berger Chocolate is my number one chocolate brand to use in my baking because their chocolate is still made bean-to-bar. That means it's crafted on-site in Ashland, Oregon from roasting the beans to forming the bars.
This process highlights the true flavors of the cacao, which comes through in the deep, complex, and delicious taste.
Expert Baking Tips
- Baking Pan: Prep a 12-count muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Measuring Flour: To help ensure you don’t add extra flour, follow these three simple steps: 1) Fluff up the flour using a fork. 2) Spoon the flour into your measuring cup. 3) Scrape a knife across the top of the measuring cup to level out the flour.
- Cupcake Batter: Evenly divide the batter amongst the cupcake liners, only filling them 1/2 way full (2 tablespoons). If you fill them any more than that the cupcakes will have large muffin tops and will risk sinking once cooled.
- Assembling: Use a piping tip or sharp knife to carefully core out the centers of each cupcake.
Here are some notes on the ingredients we'll be using. For the full ingredients list, look at the recipe card below.
- Flour: I used all purpose flour.
- Scharffen Berger Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder: This really enhances the deep and dark chocolate flavor in the cake and frosting.
- Leavening Agents: Both baking soda and baking powder are used.
- Milk: I used 2% milk, but you can use whatever milk you prefer.
- Oil: You can use either vegetable oil or canola.
- Scharffen Berger 70% Bittersweet Dark Chocolate Baking Bar: The bittersweet chocolate pairs perfectly with the dark cocoa powder.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: This is for the ganache. Do not use heavy cream as a substitute.
- Butter: Unsalted butter at room temperature is what you need.
Here are the step by step instructions on how to make the best chocolate cupcakes.
Step 1: Dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
Step 2: Wet ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, water, oil, and vanilla extract.
Step 3: Combine the ingredients. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and whisk until combined (the batter will be thin).
Step 4: Bake. Fill the cupcake liners 1/2 way full and bake for 14-16 minutes. Allow them to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer them over to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Step 5: Make the ganache. Add the chopped chocolate to a small bowl. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the heavy cream until bubbling. Pour over the chocolate and let it sit for 3 minutes. Then whisk together until smooth.
Step 6: Make the frosting. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium-high speed until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and heavy cream and mix on low speed until combined. Then increase to high speed and beat until smooth and fluffy.
Assembling The Cupcakes
Once the cupcakes have cooled, use a small sharp knife to carefully cut out the centers. Fill each cupcake with the ganache filling (I placed mine in a piping bag).
Then, frost the cupcakes. I placed the frosting in a piping bag and used the Wilton 1M piping tip. Add extra chopped chocolate crumbs to the top of each cupcake.
Keep any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, use the Scharffen Berger 70% Bittersweet Dark Chocolate Baking Bar. Chocolate chips won't melt or taste the same.
Yes they can. Simply make the cupcakes the night before and then make the ganache and frosting the day of. Decorate and serve!
It brings me so much joy to see you make my recipes. 🙂
More Cupcake Recipes
Triple Chocolate Cupcakes
- 12-count muffin pan
- Cupcake Liners
- Mixing Bowls
- Stand Mixer
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons Scharffen Berger Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder, sifted
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ½ cup milk, room temperature
- ⅓ cup warm water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil (or canola oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces Scharffen Berger 70% Bittersweet Dark Chocolate Baking Bar (roughly chopped)
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup Scharffen Berger Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder, sifted
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, water, oil, and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and whisk until combined (the batter will be thin).
- Fill the cupcake liners ½ way full (about 2 tablespoons) and bake for 14-16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cupcake comes out clean. Allow them to cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then transfer them over to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- In a small bowl, add the roughly chopped chocolate. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the heavy whipping cream until bubbling (30-45 seconds). Pour the heavy cream over the chopped chocolate and allow it to sit for 3 minutes, then whisk together until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer using the paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until creamy (about 1-2 minutes). Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and heavy cream and mix on low speed until combined (about 30 seconds). Then increase the speed to high and beat for another 1-2 minutes (frosting should be light and creamy).
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, use a piping tip (or a small sharp knife) to carefully cut out the centers. Be careful not to go through the bottom of the cupcake. Fill each cupcake with the ganache filling (I placed mine in a piping bag).
- Frost the cupcakes. I placed the frosting in a piping bag and used the Wilton 1M piping tip. Add extra chopped chocolate crumbs to the top of each cupcake (optional).
- Store leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.