These baked Chocolate Chip Donuts are filled with mini chocolate chips and topped with a dark chocolate glaze!
These chocolate chip baked donuts are super soft, fluffy, and bursting with chocolate flavor.
They're baked in a doughnut pan, so these are more like cake donuts in texture. The melted chocolate glaze on top is the best part too!
Looking for more chocolate chip desserts? Then check out these: chocolate chip cookies, mini chocolate chip cheesecakes, and this chocolate chip muffin recipe.
Why You'll Love These Donuts
- They're baked, not fried.
- Mini chocolate chips are both inside and on top.
- They take just 30 minutes to make.
- A chocolate ganache glaze covers the donuts.
- They're perfect for breakfast time!
These donuts truly taste like a chocolate chip cookie!
They also have the traditional donut shape thanks to using a donut mold pan.
Expert Baking Tips
- Baking Pan: You'll need a 6-count donut pan like this one or this wilton donut pan. I have both of these and use them interchangeably.
- Measuring Flour: To help ensure you don’t add extra flour, follow these three simple steps: 1) Fluff up the flour using a fork. 2) Spoon the flour into your measuring cup. 3) Scrape a knife across the top of the measuring cup to level out the flour.
- Donut Batter: I find it so much easier to scrape the donut batter into a pastry bag or a large ziplock bag and pipe the batter into the donut cups. This method makes it less messy too.
- Glaze: Make sure both the donuts and ganache are completely cooled before using.
Here are some notes on the ingredients we'll be using. For the full ingredients list, look at the recipe card below.
- Flour: I used all purpose flour.
- Baking Powder: I find that donuts rise better with baking powder instead of baking soda.
- Milk: I used 2%, but you could also use your preferred milk, such as almond milk or coconut milk.
- Yogurt: Using yogurt in baked goods help them to be more moist and soft. You can use either plain or vanilla yogurt. If you don't have yogurt, you could even use sour cream.
- Chocolate Chips: I recommend using mini chocolate chips. Since they're smaller, they disperse throughout the donut batter much better than regular size ones.
- Chocolate: I recommend using a chocolate bar for the glaze. Feel free to use semi-sweet chocolate, dark chocolate, or even milk chocolate.
Here are the step by step instructions on how to make these chocolate chip doughnuts.
Step 1: Dry ingredients. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Step 2: Wet ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, egg, brown sugar, milk, yogurt, and vanilla extract until fully combined.
Step 3: Combine ingredients. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and gently fold together using a silicone spatula until combined. Then fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 4: Pipe the donut batter. Scoop the batter into a piping bag and pipe the donut batter into each donut cup, filling it up just barely to the top.
Step 5: Bake. Bake the donuts for 10-12 minutes. Allow them to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully removing them and setting them on a wire rack to finish cooling.
Step 6: Chocolate glaze. In a small bowl, combine the chopped chocolate, heavy whipping cream, and butter. Heat in the microwave for 20-second intervals until melted. Cool to room temperature.
Step 7: Assemble. Dip each donut into the glaze and place them back onto the cooling rack. Sprinkle the donuts with extra chocolate chips.
Although donuts are best consumed the same day they are made, they will last for a short amount of time.
Keep leftover donuts in an airtight container in the refrigerator or on the counter for up to 3 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
I highly recommend you have a donut pan (we make a lot of donut recipes around here!). If you don't have one, you could try baking these in a regular muffin pan (although I have not tested this).
Definitely! I'd recommend a vanilla glaze or maple glaze.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and star rating below. I love hearing from you! Also, please tag me on Instagram and check out my Pinterest for even more recipe ideas.
It brings me so much joy to see you make my recipes. 🙂
More Donut Recipes
Chocolate Chip Donuts
- Donut Pan
- Mixing Bowls
Chocolate Chip Donuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup milk, room temperature
- ¼ cup yogurt (plain or vanilla), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips, plus extras for topping
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 6-count donut pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
Chocolate Chip Donuts
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, egg, brown sugar, milk, yogurt, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet and gently fold together using a silicone spatula until combined (be careful not to over mix). Then fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into a piping bag or a zipped-up sandwich bag. Simply cut a corner off of the bottom of the bag and pipe the donut batter into each donut cup, filling it up just barely to the top.
- Bake the donuts for 10-12 minutes. Use a toothpick to check the center. If it comes out clean, then they're done. Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully removing them and setting them on a wire rack to finish cooling.
- In a small heat-safe bowl, combine the chopped chocolate, heavy whipping cream, and butter. Heat in the microwave for 20-second intervals until melted. Mix together until smooth and creamy and cool to room temperature.
- Once the donuts have cooled, dip them into the glaze and place them back onto the wire rack. Then sprinkle on some mini chocolate chips (optional). Once set, serve immediately and enjoy!
- Keep leftover donuts in an airtight container in the refrigerator or on the counter for up to 3 days.
Leave a Reply