These Oreo Cinnamon Rolls are super soft rolls that are filled with a chocolate Oreo filling, crushed Oreo cookies, and topped with a creamy cream cheese icing!
This post is sponsored by Lifeway. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Ginger Snap's Baking Affairs possible!
These cookies and cream cinnamon rolls have Oreos in every layer. Oreo lovers are going to love this twist on a classic cinnamon roll!
Even the soft and fluffy dough has Oreo crumbs mixed into it, making it the star of this sweet breakfast treat.
Looking for more Oreo recipes? Then check out these: Oreo cupcakes and Oreo mini cheesecakes.
Why You'll Love These Rolls
- Oreo cookie crumbs are mixed into every part.
- The cream cheese frosting is sweet and tangy.
- It's an easy recipe to follow for all home bakers.
- The chocolate filling has black cocoa powder.
- They're perfect for breakfast, brunch, or any holiday occasion!
Homemade cinnamon rolls are so fun and easy to make at home. No need to buy any from the store anymore.
These soft Oreo cinnamon rolls might be my new favorite breakfast treat!
What Is Lifeway Kefir?
For the cinnamon roll dough I used Lifeway Kefir Organic Vanilla Whole Milk. This makes the Oreo rolls super soft and fluffy while also adding a delicious vanilla flavor.
Lifeway Kefir is a cultured milk that is both tart and tangy in flavor. I use this to replace milk in a lot of my recipes!
Each cup contains 12 live and active cultures too!
Check out this strawberry banana cake where I also used Kefir milk.
Expert Baking Tips
- Baking Pan: These rolls are baked in a 9x13-inch baking dish. I used a glass pan.
- Measuring Flour: To help ensure you don’t add extra flour, follow these three simple steps: 1) Fluff up the flour using a fork. 2) Spoon the flour into your measuring cup. 3) Scrape a knife across the top of the measuring cup to level out the flour.
- Rising Method: If possible, I recommend the first rise to happen in the oven. If you can't, then the dough can rise on the counter. I prefer the oven method when I can.
- Oreos: Pay attention to the recipe when it says whether you need Oreo crumbs or crushed Oreos.
- Glaze: As soon as the rolls come out of the oven, spread the icing over the top. Then sprinkle on the Oreo crumbs.
Here are some notes on the ingredients we'll be using. For the full ingredients list, look at the recipe card below.
- Lifeway Kefir Organic Vanilla Whole Milk: You need warm milk that has been heated to about 110 degrees fahrenheit so the yeast can rise. You could also use Lifeway Kefir Plain Milk.
- Butter: Unsalted butter is used in every part of this recipe. This needs to be at room temperature for both the filling and icing.
- Yeast: I used active rise yeast. You could also use instant yeast or active dry yeast.
- Oreos: You'll need 24 cookies, so the standard size package of Oreos will work great.
- Brown Sugar: Use either light or dark brown sugar.
- Cocoa Powder: I used black cocoa powder, but you can also use regular Hershey's cocoa powder.
- Cream Cheese: Use the block-style cream cheese, not the spreadable kind.
Here are the step by step instructions on how to make these Oreo cookie cinnamon rolls.
Step 1: Prepare the milk. In a small bowl, heat the Lifeway Kefir milk and cubed butter for about 40 seconds. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer and mix in the yeast, sugar, beaten eggs, and salt.
Step 2: Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Using the dough hook attachment, add in the flour and mix on low speed until the dough starts to form. Then add the cookie crumbs.
Increase to medium speed and knead until the dough is soft and slightly tacky.
Step 3: Rise the dough. Place the dough into a lightly greased large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it rise for 1 hour in a warm place.
Step 4: Roll out the dough. On a lightly floured surface using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick rectangle.
Use a rubber spatula to spread on the Oreo cinnamon roll filling.
Step 5: Roll and cut the dough. Taking the long side, roll the dough into a log and use a serrated knife to cut and make 15 rolls.
Step 6: Second rise. Place the sliced rolls into a prepared 9x13 inch baking pan, cover, and let the dough rise for 25 minutes.
Step 7: Bake. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes, or just until lightly golden brown on top.
Step 8: Frost. Immediately frost the baked rolls with cream cheese frosting and sprinkle on the Oreo crumbs.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
Keep any leftover rolls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
To reheat, place one cinnamon roll on a plate and heat for 20-25 seconds in the microwave.
Frequently Asked Questions
The yeast dough will rise better in a warm area and that's why I do it in the oven. If you can't, you can let the dough rise at room temperature.
I used a serrated knife to gently cut through the dough. You could also use unflavored dental floss to slice the rolls as well.
It might need a little more flour. If the dough sticks to your fingers when trying to remove it, mix in 1 tablespoon of flour at a time until it doesn't.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and star rating below. I love hearing from you! Also, please tag me on Instagram and check out my Pinterest for even more recipe ideas.
It brings me so much joy to see you make my recipes. 🙂
More Cinnamon Roll Recipes
Oreo Cinnamon Rolls
- 9x13 Glass Baking Pan
- Electric Stand Mixer
- Rolling Pin
- Offset Spatula
- 1 cup Lifeway Kefir Organic Vanilla Whole Milk, warmed to 110°F
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 packets active rise yeast (4 ½ teaspoons)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature & beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup Oreo crumbs (8 cookies)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon black cocoa powder (or regular)
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ¼ cup crushed Oreo pieces (10 cookies)
Cream Cheese Icing
- 3 ounces block-style cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Lifeway Kefir Organic Vanilla Whole Milk
- ⅓ cup Oreo crumbs (6 cookies)
- In a microwaveable-safe bowl, heat the Lifeway Kefir Organic Vanilla Whole Milk and cubed butter for 30-40 seconds, or until around 110°F. Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer and mix in the yeast, sugar, beaten eggs, and salt with a fork or whisk.
- Using the dough hook attachment, add in the flour and mix on low speed until the dough starts to form. Once formed, add the Oreo crumbs and increase the speed to medium and knead until the dough is soft and slightly tacky (2-3 minutes). If the dough sticks to your fingers when trying to remove it, mix in 1 tablespoon of flour at a time until it doesn't.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased large bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and once preheated turn it off, place the bowl in the oven and keep the door slightly open. Allow the dough to rise in that warm space for 1 hour.*If you can't do this in your oven, let the dough rise on the counter.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, beat the softened butter, brown sugar, cocoa powder, and cinnamon on high speed until completely combined. Set aside.
- After the dough has risen, roll it out on a lightly floured surface to ¼ inch thick and into a rectangle. Use a rubber or offset spatula to spread the Oreo filling all over the dough. Then sprinkle on the crushed Oreo pieces.
- Starting on the long end, roll the dough up as tightly as you can into a log shape. Use a serrated knife and cut off the uneven ends. Then cut the log into 15 rolls (about 1 inch wide).
- Spray a 9x13-inch pan with non-stick spray and place the rolls inside of it. Cover with a towel and rise for 25 minutes on the counter.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the rolls are lightly golden brown on top and the center of the rolls are cooked through.
Cream Cheese Icing
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer using the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter on high speed until combined and creamy (2-3 minutes).
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and Lifeway Kefir Organic Vanilla Whole Milk and beat on low speed for about 30 seconds. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat for an additional 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Spread the icing over the hot cinnamon rolls and sprinkle on more Oreo crumbs. Serve immediately.
- Keep any leftover cinnamon rolls in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Leave a Reply