These Mini Pumpkin Hand Pies have a perfectly spiced pumpkin pie filling that's surrounded by a flaky pie crust and tossed in a cinnamon sugar mixture before baking. You can make these with either homemade or store bought pie dough too!
These mini pumpkin pies are so cute and an easy recipe to share for both Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas. I used a pumpkin cookie cutter too!
The filling has both pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin puree, so you'll definitely taste plenty of pumpkin!
Looking for more pie recipes? Then check out these: pumpkin shortbread bars, cinnamon plum pie, and chocolate chip cookie pie.
Why You'll Love This Pie
- They're shaped like little pumpkins.
- The sweet pumpkin filling tastes just like pumpkin pie.
- They're easy to share during the holiday season.
- The top of each pie is covered in cinnamon sugar.
- Premade pie crusts are used, making this recipe beyond easy!
Pumpkin season is my favorite time of the year, and these adorable pumpkin hand pies were everything I wanted.
They're portable, filled with pumpkin spice, and look just like a pumpkin. You definitely need to make these pies!
Expert Baking Tips
- Pie Dough: If you want to make your own, follow this recipe. If using store bought, follow the directions on the box for knowing how far in advance it should be sitting at room temperature before rolling it out.
- Cookie Cutter: I used this pumpkin one, but you could also use a circle or biscuit cutter.
- Topping: Be sure to brush the mini pies with an egg wash first before sprinkling on the cinnamon sugar.
Here are some notes on the ingredients we'll be using. For the full ingredients list, look at the recipe card below.
- Pie dough: Either homemade crust or store bought.
- Cream Cheese: Brick-style, NOT the spreadable kind.
- Pumpkin Puree: Not to be confused with pumpkin pie filling. They are not interchangeable.
- Pumpkin Spice: If you do not have pumpkin pie spice at home, you can easily make your own. Just combine 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, and 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg. This will give you 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice.
- Egg: You need one egg and a splash of water for the egg wash.
Here are the step by step instructions on how to make these easy pumpkin hand pies.
Step 1: Make the filling. Using an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, white sugar, and brown sugar on high speed until smooth.
Step 2: Add the wet ingredients. Add the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, and salt on medium speed until combined.
Step 3: Roll the pie dough. On a lightly floured work surface using a rolling pin, roll out the pie dough. Use a 4-inch pumpkin cutter and cut out 10 pumpkins. Repeat with the other pie dough.
Step 4: Use a sharp knife to cut three small slits onto the top of 10 pie crusts to resemble the ridges on a real pumpkin.
Step 5: Assemble the pies. On a prepared baking sheet, place one pumpkin pie dough on and lightly brush it with the egg wash (use a pastry brush for this). Then place 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center and top with one of the top crusts.
Step 6: Crimp and chill the pies. Use a fork to crimp down the edges of the pie until fully sealed. Repeat until all 10 pumpkin shapes have been formed. Then place the cookie sheet in the freezer to chill.
Step 7: Turn on the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Once preheated, remove the pan from the freezer and lightly brush the tops with the egg wash. Then sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar topping.
Step 8: Bake. Place the whole pan into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Keep any leftover pies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Bonus Tip! Eat these pies in a small bowl with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
Frequently Asked Questions
These pies need to be refrigerated before the end of the same day that they're baked or they'll go bad.
I do not recommend it. Pumpkin pie filling has a lot of extra ingredients in it, whereas pumpkin puree is just 100 % pumpkin.
Absolutely! You can use whatever you have on hand, like circles or even rectangles.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and star rating below. I love hearing from you! Also, please tag me on Instagram and check out my Pinterest for even more recipe ideas.
It brings me so much joy to see you make my recipes. 🙂
More Pumpkin Recipes
Mini Pumpkin Hand Pies
- Baking Sheet
- Electric Stand Mixer
- Rolling Pin
- Pumpkin Cookie Cutter
- 1 box refrigerated pie crust (2-count)
- 4 ounces brick-style cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg with a splash of water, for the egg wash
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Remove the pie dough from the refrigerator and set it aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream together the cream cheese, sugar, and brown sugar on medium-high speed until smooth and combined. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, and salt and mix on medium speed until combined. Scrape the filling into a small bowl and set aside.
- Roll the pie dough out on a lightly-floured surface using a rolling pin. Use a 4-inch pumpkin cookie cutter and cut out 10 pumpkins (you could also use a circle cutter). Repeat with the other pie dough. You'll need a total of 20 pumpkins.
- Use a sharp knife to cut three small slits onto the top of 10 pie crusts to resemble the ridges on a real pumpkin.
- On a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat, place one pumpkin on and lightly brush it with the egg wash. Add 1 tablespoon of the pumpkin filling directly to the center of the dough and top with one of the cut pie dough pumpkins. Use a fork to crimp down all sides of the dough until fully sealed.
- Repeat the step above until all 10 mini pies have been formed. Place the baking sheet into the freezer while the oven preheats.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Once the oven is heated, lightly brush the tops with the egg wash and sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar. Place the whole pan into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or once they are golden-brown on top.
- Allow the pies to cool before serving. Keep any leftover pies in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Leave a Reply