This Easy Apple Crisp Recipe is filled with sweet sliced apples and is topped with a crisp topping that includes oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon!
This recipe was originally published in September of 2020, but was updated on September 16, 2022 with newer content and fresh pictures.
This homemade apple crisp is an easy recipe that is bursting in flavor. If you're looking for a favorite fall dessert that everyone will love, then this apple crumble is it!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- The apple filling can be made with either tart apples or sweet.
- The crunchy topping is bursting with fall flavors, such as maple syrup and cinnamon.
- You can leave the skins on the apple slices.
- You can top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!
My favorite way to eat apple crisp is with a dallop of fresh whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce right over the top.
This recipe is truly comforting and filled with warm spices that we love this time of year!
Expert Baking Tips
- Baking Pan: Grease an 8x8-inch or 9x9-inch square baking dish with non-stick spray. You could also bake this in a pie plate.
- Apple Slices: Thin and even apple slices are important for even baking. I recommend slicing your apples into 1/4 inch slices.
- Mix Ingredients Thoroughly: For both the apple filling and the oat topping, be sure to combine all of the ingredients thoroughly. I like to use my wooden spoon to ensure that everything is mixed together completely.
Here are some notes on the ingredients we'll be using. For the full ingredients list, look at the recipe card below.
- Apples: You'll need 3 large apples (or 5 1/2 cups).
- Apple Juice: This adds moisture to the apple mixture. You could also use apple cider.
- Lemon Juice: Adds a touch of tartness.
- Old Fashioned Oats: They are also called "rolled oats". Do not use instant oats because they are not the same.
- Flour: I used all purpose flour, but you can use whichever flour you prefer, such as almond flour.
- Oil: I used vegetable oil, but you could always use canola, coconut oil, or even butter instead. If using butter (room temperature), use a pastry blender to cut into the oat mixture.
Here are the step by step instructions on how to make the best apple crisp recipe.
Step 1: Make the filling. In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples, apple juice, lemon juice, corn starch, cinnamon, and salt.
Step 2: Add to baking pan. Pour the apple filling into a prepared baking pan and set aside.
Step 3: Make the topping. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt until combined.
Step 4: Bake. Sprinkle the crumbly mixture over the apples and bake for 45-50 minutes. Wait 15 minutes before serving and enjoy!
Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat the next day, simply place some on a plate and microwave it for about 25 seconds.
Frequently Asked Questions
An apple crumble doesn't inclube oats like a crisp would. A crumble is more lumpy and a crisp is more crunchy.
I like to use honey crisp apples, but granny smith apples are also a great choice.
Feel free to serve your apple crisp with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or even this homemade salted caramel sauce.
It brings me so much joy to see you make my recipes. 🙂
More Fall Recipes
Easy Apple Crisp Recipe
- 8x8 inch baking pan
- Mixing Bowls
- 3 large apples, cored, peeled (optional), and sliced into ¼ inch slices
- ⅓ cup apple juice
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats (rolled oats)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup oil (vegetable or canola)
- 1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8 inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt. Pour over the top of the apples.
- Sprinkle the crisp topping over the apples and bake for 45-50 minutes. Once you see the top is golden brown and the apples are soft, you know it's done. Use a toothpick to check how soft the apples are.
- Let the apple crisp cool for about 15 minutes before serving with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
- Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.