These s'mores rice krispie treats are loaded with graham crackers, chocolate chunks, and mini marshmallows. This classic cereal treat just got turned into the best no-bake dessert that can be enjoyed all year long!
This recipe was originally published in June of 2021, but was updated on May 30, 2022 with newer content and fresh pictures.
These s'mores bars uses Rice Krispies cereal to create a campfire treat without the hassle of an open flame. They're filled with ooey gooey marshmallows, crushed graham crackers, and semi-sweet chocolate.
If desired, you could even use your favorite chocolate bars to mix directly into the rice cereal, such as milk or dark chocolate.
Why You'll Love These Cereal Treats
- They are a no bake dessert.
- They're topped with extra marshmallows and chocolate pieces.
- All you need are simple ingredients.
- Each bite is crunchy, and filled with s'mores flavors!
S'mores desserts are some of my favorite, especially since chocolate is involved! Summertime is my favorite for all things s'mores, epecially when I can have them without turning on my oven.
These rice krispie treats are absolutely perfect for a quick and simple treat that takes minimal effort and ingredients!
Expert Baking Tips
- Baking Pan: Line your 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper and then non-stick spray.
- Chocolate: I used chocolate chunks but you could also use chocolate chips or a chocolate bar broken up into pieces (such as hershey bars).
- Parchment Paper: Use a piece of parchment paper lightly sprayed with non-stick spray to evenly press down the rice krispies into the prepared baking dish.
Here are some notes on the ingredients we'll be using. For the full ingredients list, look at the recipe card below.
- Marshmallows: Use mini marshmallows, not the large ones.
- Rice Cereal: Feel free to use either the name brand of Rice Krispies or a generic brand. The only difference I have found is the generic brand doesn't stay as crunchy long, but the flavor is exactly the same.
- Graham Crackers: I used honey graham crackers, but you could also use the chocolate ones.
- Chocolate: I used semi-sweet chocolate chunks.
Here are the step by step instructions on how to make these rice krispie s'mores.
Step 1: Melt the butter. In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Once melted, add 5 cups of the marshmallows and stir occasionally until completely melted.
Step 2: Add the cereal. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the vanilla extract and salt. Then gently mix in the cereal and graham cracker pieces until evenly coated.
Step 3: Add the remaining ingredients. Gently mix in the chocolate chunks and the remaining marshmallows.
Step 4: Press into baking pan. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and use a piece of parchment paper that's been sprayed with cooking spray to press it down into an even layer.
Tip! Add extra chocolate and marshmallows to the top of the bars and press down gently.
Step 5: Cool and serve. Allow the bars to cool for 20 minutes before slicing them into bars and serving.
Although they're best consumed within 1-2 days, they will last up to 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Although I haven't tried, you could probably swap out the rice krispie cereal with either golden grahams cereal or even cocoa krispies.
You certainly can, but just note that they might not be as crunchy the next day.
I have never tried this before. If you do, let me know how it turned out for you!
It brings me so much joy to see you make my recipes. 🙂
More Summer Desserts
S'mores Rice Krispie Treats
- 8x8 inch baking pan
- Large Sauce Pan
- Wooden Spoon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 ½ cups mini marshmallows, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 ½ cups Rice Krispie cereal
- ½ cup graham cracker chunks (2 sheets)
- ¾ cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper and then non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Once melted, add 5 cups of the mini marshmallows and stir occasionally until completely melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the vanilla extract and salt, mixing until combined.
- Gently mix in the rice krispie cereal and crushed graham crackers. Then mix in the chocolate chunks and the remaining marshmallows.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and use a piece of parchment paper that's been sprayed with non-stick spray to press it down into an even layer. Top with extra mini marshmallows and chocolate chunks (optional).
- Allow the bars to cool for 20 minutes before slicing them into bars. Keep any leftover bars in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days.