This pumpkin bread with cream cheese frosting has both pumpkin pie spice and canned pumpkin puree mixed into the batter. The bread is sturdy, soft, and super moist!
This easy pumpkin bread recipe is filled with all the fall spices that makes this the perfect treat to enjoy for breakfast.
The batter comes together in one bowl, so you don't even need a hand mixer! Plus, the cream cheese icing on top compliments the pumpkin flavor so well!
Why You'll Love This Quick Bread
- It has a moist texture, while also being sturdy.
- It has pumpkin spice flavor and pure pumpkin puree.
- The cream cheese icing adds a layer of sweetness.
- All you need are simple ingredients.
- It creates the perfect pumpkin bread for you to enjoy during pumpkin season!
Nothing beats homemade pumpkin bread, especially when it's topped with cream cheese frosting!
Any pumpkin lover would enjoy this treat for breakfast or as an afternoon snack.
Here are some notes on the ingredients we'll be using. For the full ingredients list, look at the recipe card below.
- Pumpkin Puree: Do not confuse this with pumpkin pie filling for they are not the same. Pumpkin puree only contains one ingredient, and that's pumpkin.
- Oil: Use either canola or vegetable oil.
- Flour: I used all purpose flour.
- Pumpkin Spice: You can make your own or buy one from your local grocery store.
- Baking Powder: I like to use baking powder instead of baking soda.
- Cream Cheese: Brick-style, NOT the spreadable kind.
- Unsalted Butter: Be sure to use room temperature butter so it can combine with the cream cheese more smoothly.
Here are the step by step instructions on how to make this moist pumpkin bread.
Step 1: Wet ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, white sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until combined.
Step 2: Dry ingredients. Add the flour, pumpkin spice, ground cinnamon, baking powder, and salt and use a rubber spatula to fold everything together.
Step 3: Bake. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes.
Cool in the pan for 30 minutes before transferring the bread over to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step 4: Make the frosting. In a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix on low speed until combined.
Then beat on high for an additional 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
Step 5: Frost. Once the bread has cooled, frost the top of the bread with the icing. Serve and enjoy!
Keep any leftover bread slices in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
You could also cover the bread pan with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
Expert Baking Tips
- Bread Pan: Line your 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, creating "handles" that hang over the sides. Then spray the pan with non-stick spray.
- Measuring Flour: To help ensure you don’t add extra flour, follow these three simple steps: 1) Fluff up the flour using a fork. 2) Spoon the flour into your measuring cup. 3) Scrape a knife across the top of the measuring cup to level out the flour.
- Pumpkin Spice: If you do not have pumpkin pie spice at home, you can easily make your own. Here is my recipe for how to make your own pumpkin spice.
I recommend this 9x5 inch bread pan. It's glass, so the bread doesn't over bake too quickly. If you use a dark pan you run the risk of burning it.
Before baking, you could fold in a ½ cup of chocolate chips or even your favorite nut.
It brings me so much joy to see you make my recipes. 🙂
More Pumpkin Recipes
Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 9x5-Inch Bread Pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Parchment paper
- Electric Stand Mixer
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (or canola)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces block-style cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9x5-inch bread pan with parchment paper, creating "handles" that hang over the sides. Then spray the pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined.
- Then fold in the flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt using a rubber spatula. Once combined, pour the batter into the prepared bread pan.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, using a toothpick to check for doneness (the toothpick should come out clean). Cool for 30 minutes in the pan and then use the parchment paper "handles" to remove the bread. Cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer using the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter on high speed until combined and creamy (2-3 minutes).
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and beat on low speed for about 30 seconds. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat for an additional 1-2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Spread the icing over the cooled bread, slice, and serve.
- Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.