These Peanut M&M Cookies are packed full with creamy peanut butter and m&m candies. If you are a peanut butter lover like myself, these cookies with peanut m&m's were made for you!
This recipe was originally published in October of 2020, but was updated on June 8, 2022 with newer content and fresh pictures.
These peanut butter cookies are candy cookie #1 as part of my candy cookie baking series!
I've always loved peanut m&m candies over regular m&m. The crunchy and salty peanuts that are surrounded by the chocolate is a perfect match! So these chewy cookies are perfect to satisfy any sweet candy cravings you may be having.
Why You'll Love These Cookies
- They're bursting with peanut m&m's.
- Each bite is soft, chewy, and full of peanut butter flavor.
- They are no-chill and can be baked right away.
- You can use your any of your favorite m&m candies if you'd like!
The peanut butter cookie dough is inspired by my classic peanut butter cookie recipe that is already on the blog! They're extremely soft and melt-in-your mouth too!
These are a must-bake cookie if you are the ultimate peanut butter fan!
Expert Baking Tips
- Baking Sheet: I recommend this specific baking sheet because it perfectly fits 12 cookies on the pan. I use them for all of my cookie recipes! Then I line my baking sheets with silicone baking mats (you can also use parchment paper).
- Room Temperature Ingredients: We want the butter and egg to be at room temperature before baking. I recommend taking these ingredients out of the refrigerator 1 hour before you want to start.
- Measuring Flour: To help ensure you don’t add extra flour, follow these three simple steps: 1) Fluff up the flour using a fork. 2) Spoon the flour into your measuring cup. 3) Scrape a knife across the top of the measuring cup to level out the flour.
- Cookie Scoop: I used a medium-sized cookie scoop, specifically the #24 scoop.
- Perfectly Shaped Cookies: The trick to getting more circular cookies is to use a round cookie cutter to essentially “rotate or spin” around each cookie immediately when they come out of the oven. Since they’re really hot, the cookies will easily mold to that circular shape as you move around them.
Here are some notes on the ingredients we'll be using. For the full ingredients list, look at the recipe card below.
- All-Purpose Flour: Be sure to properly measure your flour (check out "Expert Baking Tips" above).
- Butter: Make sure to use unsalted butter and that it's at room temperature before baking.
- Brown Sugar: Use either light brown sugar or dark brown sugar.
- Peanut Butter: I used creamy peanut butter (Jif brand). I don't recommend using natural peanut butter because it can change the texture of the cookies.
- M&M's: This recipe calls for peanut m&m, but you could also use peanut butter m&m, mini m&m, or even plain m&m's.
Here are the step by step instructions on how to make these m&m cookies.
Step 1: Dry ingredients. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set aside.
Step 2: Beat together the butter and sugars. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream together the room temperature butter, brown sugar, and white sugar on medium-high speed for at least 3 minutes.
Step 3: Add the wet ingredients. Add the egg on medium speed, mixing just until combined. Then mix in the peanut butter and vanilla extract.
Step 4: Combine the ingredients. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed just until combined (be careful not to overmix). Remove the bowl from the stand and gently mix in the m&m's using a silicone spatula.
Step 5: Scoop the dough. Use a medium-sized cookie scoop (I used my #24) to scoop out the dough and place onto a prepared cookie sheet.
TIP! Top the cookie dough balls with a couple extra m&m's before baking.
Step 6: Bake. Bake the cookies for 10-14 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes before transferring them over to a wire rack.
NOTE: Since all ovens bake differently these cookies will take anywhere between 10-14 minutes to bake. Be careful not to overbake them or they will not be as soft.
Keep any leftover cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 7 days.
These cookies would be perfect for any holiday!
- Red and green m&m's for Christmas.
- Orange and brown for Halloween.
- Pastel m&m's for Easter.
The possibilities are endless!
Frequently Asked Questions
I prefer peanut m&m's but you can use anyone you like, such as regular m&m, mini, or even the peanut butter ones.
I used a medium-sized cookie scoop this time (2.7 tablespoons) but I also like to use a smaller cookie scoop (1.5 tablespoons). If you use a smaller one, just note that the bake time will be different.
I recommend a creamy peanut butter like Jif or Skippy. I've never baked with natural peanut butter before so I'm not sure how the cookies would turn out.
It brings me so much joy to see you make my recipes. 🙂
More Cookie Recipes You'll Love
Peanut M & M Cookies
- Baking Sheets
- Silicone Baking Mat
- Electric Stand Mixer
- Cookie Scoop
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup peanut M&M's, plus extra to press into cookie dough
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar on medium-high speed until fully combined and creamy (about 3-4 minutes). Add the egg and mix on medium speed until combined.
- Add the creamy peanut butter and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Then add the flour mixture, mixing on low speed just until combined. Remove the bowl from the stand gently mix in the M&M's using a silicone spatula.
- Use a medium cookie scoop (I used my #24, which is 2.7 tablespoons) to scoop out the cookie dough onto the prepared baking pans. Press extra M&M's on top of the cookie dough balls if desired. Bake for 10-14 minutes, or just until the edges of the cookies start to turn golden-brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring them over to a wire rack to finish cooling. Keep any leftover cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 7 days.
Candy Cookie Baking Series: