These Pistachio Drop Cookies are an easy no chill cookie that are full of real pistachios! This recipe is perfect for all of your holiday and springtime cookie baking.
These pistachio cookies are extremely soft, chewy, and have a gorgeous pastel green color from the fresh pistachios.
Unlike other recipes online, these cookies do not include any artificial flavors from a pistachio pudding mix. They're made with real pistachios and the color reflects that too!
Why You'll Love These Cookies
- They're filled with chopped pistachios.
- There is no chilling required.
- Each bite is soft and chewy.
- All in all, they take less than 30 minutes to make!
The cookie dough is inspired by my love for chocolate chip cookies. It's buttery, a little salty, and instead of chocolate chips, pistachios are folded into the batter!
And even better, you can bake these cookies right away because the dough does not have to chill.
Expert Baking Tips
- Baking Sheet: I recommend this specific baking sheet because it perfectly fits 12 cookies on the pan. I use them for all of my cookie recipes! Then I line them with silicone baking mats.
- Room Temperature Ingredients: For this recipe, we want both the butter, egg, and egg yolk to be at room temperature before baking. I recommend taking these ingredients out of the refrigerator 1 hour before you want to start.
- Measuring Flour: To help ensure you don’t add extra flour, follow these three simple steps: 1) Fluff up the flour using a fork. 2) Spoon the flour into your measuring cup. 3) Scrape a knife across the top of the measuring cup to level out the flour.
- Perfectly Shaped Cookies: The trick to getting more circular cookies is to use a round cookie cutter to essentially “rotate or spin” around each cookie immediately when they come out of the oven. Since they’re really hot, the cookies will easily mold to that circular shape as you move around them.
Here are some notes on the ingredients we'll be using. For the full ingredients list, look at the recipe card below.
- All-Purpose Flour: Be sure to properly measure your flour (check out Expert Baking Tips above).
- Corn Starch: With corn starch added, the cookies are softer and thicker.
- Sugars: A combination of both brown sugar and granulated sugar are used.
- Eggs: Adding an extra egg yolk produces a chewier cookie.
- Pistachios: I used salted pistachios. You can also buy them without the shells (this would save you quite a bit of prep time).
Here are the step by step instructions on how to make these easy pistachio cookies.
Step 1: Dry ingredients. Using a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, corn starch, baking soda, and salt until combined. Set aside.
Step 2: Beat together the butter and sugars. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar on medium-high speed for at least 3 minutes. We want the mixture to be fully combined and creamy.
Step 3: Wet ingredients. Add the vanilla extract, egg, and egg yolk on medium speed and mix for 1 minute.
Step 4: Combine ingredients: Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until combined (be careful not to overmix). Then fold in the chopped pistachios with a silicone spatula.
Step 5: Scoop the dough. Use either a 1.5 tablespoon or #50 cookie scoop to scoop out the dough and place onto a prepared baking sheet.
Step 6: Bake. Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes before transferring them over to a wire rack.
Keep any leftover cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 7 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes they can. Freeze the cookies on a baking sheet for about an hour and then transfer them to a freezer bag. You can keep them frozen for up to 2 months.
I do not recommend adding a pudding packet to the cookie dough. It'll dry out the cookies. Plus, the cookies really don't need it because they're packed full with fresh pistachios.
More Cookie Recipes
Pistachio Drop Cookies
- Baking Sheet
- Silicone Baking Mats
- Cookie Scoop
- Electric Stand Mixer
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (1.5 sticks), room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- ¾ cup pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, corn starch, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar on medium-high speed until fully combined and creamy (about 3-4 minutes). Add the vanilla extract, egg, and egg yolk on medium speed and mix for 1 minute.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed just until combined (be careful not to overmix). Then fold in the chopped pistachios with a silicone spatula.
- Use a 1.5 tablespoon or #50 cookie scoop to scoop out the cookie dough onto the prepared baking pans. Bake for 9-11 minutes, or just until the edge of the cookies turn golden-brown. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring them over to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Keep any leftover cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 7 days.