This Funfetti Ice Cream tastes exactly like a birthday cake! It's a no churn ice cream recipe that has a box cake mix added to it and is filled with colorful rainbow sprinkles.
This funfetti birthday cake ice cream starts off with a creamy vanilla ice cream base that has all of the flavors of a classic birthday cake mixed into it.
It literally tastes like your favorite cake batter ice cream, but is easily made at home! You don't even need an ice cream maker!
Why You'll Love This Ice Cream
- It's no churn.
- Colorful sprinkles are folded into it.
- It has the classic flavor of funfetti cake.
- No ice cream machine required.
- You can serve it alongside any birthday cake!
I love to serve my ice cream in a waffle cone, but you can eat yours however you like!
Ice cream cones or straight from the pan, you won't be able to take just one bite!
Expert Baking Tips
- Loaf Pan: Use a 9x5-inch bread pan to freeze the ice cream. This works great because the ice cream completely fills up the pan. Just be sure to cover the pan with foil to avoid freezer burn. You could also use any freezer-safe container.
- Stiff Peaks: The heavy whipping cream needs to be whipped to stiff peaks. This means that the peaks stand straight up when lifting up the whisk. It needs to be thick when folding into the ice cream base. If not, the ice cream won't set up properly when freezing.
- Cake Mix: You can use your preferred cake mix flavor, such as white, yellow, or even the funfetti cake mix.
- Freeze Time: The ice cream needs to freeze for at least 4 hours before eating. I recommend freezing it overnight if you can.
Here are some notes on the ingredients we'll be using. For the full ingredients list, look at the recipe card below.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: Do not substitute with heavy cream. They are not the same!
- Sweetened Condensed Milk: Use whichever brand you prefer. Just don't use fat-free.
- Cake Mix: I used a white cake mix. You'll use it dry.
- Sprinkles: Make sure to use rainbow jimmies, which are the long and skinny sprinkles.
Here are the step by step instructions on how to make this no churn funfetti ice cream.
Step 1: Make the whipped cream. In a large mixing bowl, use an electric hand mixer to whisk the heavy whipping cream to stiff peaks.
Place into the refrigerator while you make the other components.
Step 2: Combine the ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, dry cake mix, vanilla extract, and salt until fully combined.
Step 3: Add the whipped cream. Fold in a ½ cup of the whipped cream gently using a rubber spatula. Then fold in the remaining whipped cream until smooth and combined.
Fold in about half of the sprinkles.
Step 4: Freeze. Spread the ice cream mixture into the bread pan and sprinkle on the rest of the rainbow jimmies. Then, cover it with foil or a lid. Freeze for at least 4 hours.
The ice cream will last in the freezer for up to 2 months. Be sure to cover it tightly with foil or a freezer-safe lid to avoid freezer burn and ice crystals.
Here are some of my favorite toppings for this no churn birthday cake ice cream:
- Chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
- Cookie crumbs
- Hot fudge
Frequently Asked Questions
This ice cream combines rainbow sprinkles and a dry cake mix to make it taste exactly like a birthday cake!
If you don't want to use the dry cake mix, you can leave it out. It will still be delicious.
Churned ice cream contains eggs, whereas no churn ice cream does not. Sweetened condensed milk is also used to sweeten no churn ice cream instead of granulated sugar.
It brings me so much joy to see you make my recipes. 🙂
More Ice Cream Recipes
Funfetti Ice Cream
- 9-inch Bread Pan
- Electric Stand Mixer
- Mixing Bowls
- Rubber Spatula
- Ice Cream Scoop
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup white cake mix, dry
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup rainbow jimmies sprinkles, divided
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer using the whisk attachment, beat the heavy whipping cream on high speed until stiff peaks form (1-2 minutes). Put the bowl in the refrigerator while you prepare the other components.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, white cake mix, vanilla extract, and salt until combined. Fold in ½ cup of the whipped cream using a rubber spatula and then gently fold in the rest until smooth and fully combined. Then fold in a little more than ¼ cup of the rainbow sprinkles.
- Spread the ice cream mixture into the bread pan and sprinkle on the rest of the rainbow sprinkles. Then, cover with foil. Freeze for at least 4 hours (overnight preferred).
- The ice cream will last for up to 2 months in the freezer.