These pistachio muffins are filled with real pistachios, are super moist and soft on the inside, and are a perfect breakfast option on a busy morning!
These bakery style pistachio muffins are bursting with pistachio flavor without using an instant pudding mix.
The muffins are tender while also being sturdy in structure. This is such an easy muffin recipe that is ready in about 30 minutes!
Why You'll Love These Muffins
- They have chopped pistachios mixed into them.
- They have both vanilla and almond flavor in the batter.
- All you need are mixing bowls; no hand mixer needed.
- They're ideal as a grab-n-go breakfast item!
They also have slight muffin tops that are sprinkled with even more crushed pistachios too.
If you are a pistachio lover, then these are a must-bake!
Expert Baking Tips
- Muffin Pan: Prep your 12-count muffin pan by lining it with muffin liners. If you don’t have liners, spray each muffin cups with cooking spray. Here are the paper liners I use for both cupcakes and muffins.
- Muffin Batter: Fill each muffin cup ⅔ full with batter. I used my #24 cookie scoop to make this process a lot easier and less messy.
- Almond Flavor: Don't like almond? Simply leave it out and you'll still have delicious pistachio muffins.
- Topping: Add extra pistachio pieces to the tops of the muffins before baking. You can also add coarse sugar too!
- Additional Flavor: An optional ingredient you can add to these muffins is a ½ teaspoon of rosemary to the dry ingredients. It adds a whole other layer of flavor!
Here are some notes on the ingredients we'll be using. For the full ingredients list, look at the recipe card below.
- Flour: I used all purpose flour.
- Leavening Agents: Both baking soda and baking powder are used so that the muffins will stand tall and have muffin tops.
- Sugars: I used a combination of both brown sugar and white sugar.
- Yogurt: Use either plain or vanilla yogurt. You could also use sour cream.
- Extracts: I used both almond extract and vanilla for added flavor. If you don't like almond, you can just leave it out.
- Pistachios: Unlike other recipes that uses an instant pistachio pudding mix, this recipe uses just real pistachios. So good!
Here are the step by step instructions on how to make the best pistachio muffins.
Step 1: Dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
TIP! As an additional flavor, mix in a ½ teaspoon of rosemary to the dry ingredients (optional)
Step 2: Wet ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, sugar, large eggs, milk, vegetable oil, yogurt, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
Step 3: Combine the ingredients. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and use a silicone spatula to gently fold everything together until combined.
Then fold in the pistachios.
Step 4: Bake. Divide the batter up evenly, filling each muffin cup about ⅔ of the way full. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Use a toothpick to check the center of the muffins for doneness.
Step 5: Cool. Allow the muffins to cool in the muffin pan for 5 minutes. Then transfer them over to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
Keep any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Typically, they are green because either an instant pudding mix is used or green food coloring is added. These muffins don't include either of those ingredients; just real pistachios! If desired, you could certainly add a few drops of green color to the batter before baking.
Yes! If you have a jumbo muffin tin you can definitley use that instead. Just note that the bake time might be longer.
Yes, you can easily make a double batch of these muffins. Just bake each muffin tin separately.
It brings me so much joy to see you make my recipes. 🙂
More Muffin Recipes
- 12-count muffin pan
- Mixing Bowls
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup milk, room temperature
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil (or canola)
- ¼ cup yogurt (plain or vanilla), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup chopped pistachios, plus extra
- ½ teaspoon rosemary (optional), see notes below
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners or non-stick spray.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.Mix in rosemary (optional). See Notes Below.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, sugar, eggs, milk, oil, yogurt, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Add the flour mixture and use a silicone spatula to gently fold everything together until combined. Then fold in the chopped pistachios.
- Divide the batter up evenly, filling each muffin cup about ⅔ of the way full. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Use a toothpick to check the center of the muffins for doneness.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transfering them over to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Keep any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.