These White Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes are filled with a creamy white chocolate ganache and are topped with a homemade peppermint frosting. I even added mini candy canes to the tops of each cupcake.
These peppermint cupcakes are super soft, fluffy, and filled with the most delicious white chocolate filling.
Each bite is perfectly balanced between the peppermint flavor and sweet white chocolate. These would be perfect for any gathering this holiday season!
Why You'll Love These Cupcakes
- Each contains a mini candy cane.
- They're topped with a fluffy peppermint frosting.
- You can taste both white chocolate and peppermint in every bite.
- The middle contains a sweet white chocolate filling surprise.
- They'd be perfect at any holiday parties!
Add some holiday cheer by serving these white chocolate cupcakes at your Christmas gathering.
They're perfectly sweet and are so cute with the candy cane toppings!
What Is Lifeway Kefir?
Lifeway Kefir is one of my favorite ingredients to bake with as it adds a good amount of moisture and tenderness to baked goods.
Lifeway Kefir is a tart and tangy cultured milk smoothie that is packed full of protein and calcium. Each cup contains 12 live and active cultures too!
I used Lifeway Kefir Plain Whole Milk in the cupcake batter and it is unbelievably delicious!
Check out these pumpkin muffins I made using Lifeway milk too!
Expert Baking Tips
- Baking Pan: Prep a 12-count muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Measuring Flour: To help ensure you don’t add extra flour, follow these three simple steps: 1) Fluff up the flour using a fork. 2) Spoon the flour into your measuring cup. 3) Scrape a knife across the top of the measuring cup to level out the flour.
- Assembling: Use a piping tip to carefully core out the centers of each cupcake. Then either pipe or spoon in the ganache.
- Frosting: Frost the cupcakes once they have completely cooled. I used a piping bag and the Wilton 1M tip to frost these cupcakes.
Here are some notes on the ingredients we'll be using. For the full ingredients list, look at the recipe card below.
- Flour: I used all purpose flour.
- Oil: You can use either vegetable oil or canola.
- Eggs: Adding an extra egg white helps the cupcakes to be more light and fluffy.
- Yogurt: Use either plain or vanilla yogurt. You could also use sour cream.
- Peppermint Extract: Be sure to use a pure peppermint extract like this one.
- Lifeway Kefir Plain Whole Milk: Makes the cupcake batter super moist. Be sure this is at room temperature.
- White Chocolate Chips: Use a high quality chocolate brand like Nestle's or Ghirardelli.
- Candy Cane: I used 12 mini candy canes to decorate the tops of each cupcake. I also crushed some up to also sprinkle over the top.
Here are the step by step instructions on how to make these peppermint white chocolate cupcakes.
Step 1: Dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Step 2: Wet ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, egg, egg white, yogurt, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract until combined.
Step 3: Combine the ingredients. Alternate adding the flour mixture and the Lifeway Kefir milk to the wet ingredients (flour, milk, flour), whisking just until everything is combined.
Step 4: Bake. FIll the cupcake liners ¾ of the way full and bake for 15-18 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool for 10 minutes in the pan before transferring them over to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step 5: Make the ganache. Add the chocolate chips to a small bowl. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the heavy whipping cream until bubbling.
Pour over the chocolate and let it sit for 3 minutes. Then whisk together until smooth.
Step 6: Make the frosting. In a large mixing bowl using the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, heavy cream, vanilla and peppermint extract and mix on low speed until combined.
Then increase to high speed and beat until smooth and fluffy.
Assembling The Cupcakes
Once the cupcakes have cooled, use a small sharp knife to carefully cut out the centers. Fill each cupcake with the ganache filling.
Then, frost the cupcakes. I placed the frosting in a piping bag and used the Wilton 1M piping tip. Add crushed candy cane pieces and one mini candy cane to the top of each cupcake.
Keep any leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes they can. Simply make the cupcakes the night before and then make the ganache and frosting the day of. Decorate and serve!
I love to add yogurt to add more moisture and then of course the Lifeway Kefir milk helps a lot too!
It brings me so much joy to see you make my recipes. 🙂
More Cupcake Recipes
White Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes
- 12 Count Muffin Pan
- Cupcake Liners
- Mixing Bowls
- Electric Stand Mixer
- Piping Bag & Tips
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil (or canola)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 large egg white, room temperature
- ¼ cup yogurt (plain or vanilla), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup Lifeway Kefir Plain Whole Milk, room temperature
White Chocolate Filling
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (2 sticks)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 12 mini candy canes
- ½ cup crushed candy canes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, egg, egg white, yogurt, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract until combined.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the Lifeway Kefir milk to the wet ingredients (flour, milk, flour), whisking just until everything is combined (be careful not to overmix).
- FIll each cupcake liner ¾ of the way full (just under 3 tablespoons of batter) and bake for 15-18 minutes. Use a toothpick to check the centers for doneness and let the cupcakes cool for 10 minutes in the pan before transferring them over to a wire rack to cool completely.
White Chocolate Ganache
- In a small bowl, add the white chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the heavy whipping cream until bubbling (25-40 seconds). Pour the heavy cream over the chocolate chips and allow it to sit for 3 minutes, then whisk together until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer using the paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until creamy (about 1-2 minutes). Add the powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract and mix on low speed until combined (about 30 seconds). Then increase the speed to high and beat for another 1-2 minutes (frosting should be light and creamy).
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, use a piping tip (or a small sharp knife) to carefully cut out the centers. Be careful not to go through the bottom of the cupcake. Fill each cupcake with the ganache filling.
- Frost the cupcakes. I placed the frosting in a piping bag and used the Wilton 1M piping tip. Add crushed candy cane pieces and one mini candy cane to the top of each cupcake.
- Store leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.